This recipe re-visits the classic combo of Pork chops and apple sauce.
The ingredient of Pork, sage and onion pizza with spiced apple sauce
- 2 red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pure (thin) cream
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 450g good-quality pork sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 cup (80g) pine nuts
- Fried sage leaves (optional), to serve
The instruction how to make Pork, sage and onion pizza with spiced apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180u00b0C.
- Place onion on a baking tray, drizzle with vinegar and 1 tablespoon oil, then season. Bake for 30 minutes or until caramelised.
- Increase the oven to 200u00b0C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the apple in a saucepan over low heat with fennel, cumin, dried sage and 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and the liquid has almost completely reduced. Break up apples with a potato masher to form a coarse sauce, then add cream and lemon juice, season and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the pork and cook, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 6-8 minutes until browned.
- Spread half the apple sauce over 1 Lebanese bread, then top with half the pork, onion and pine nuts. Season. Repeat with remaining Lebanese bread and toppings. Place on prepared trays and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and crisp. Top with the fried sage leaves, if using, slice and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Pork, sage and onion pizza with spiced apple saucecalories: