Mushrooms are almost fat-free, low in calories and give this vegan pilaf a robust flavour.
The ingredient of Mushroom, kale and barley pilaf
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- 250ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 220g (1 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 80g trimmed kale, stems removed, chopped
- 350g mixed mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
The instruction how to make Mushroom, kale and barley pilaf
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Place porcini mushrooms in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes to soak. Drain, reserving liquid. Finely chop mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the barley, stock, porcini, 1/2 cup reserved porcini liquid and water. Stir to combine and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes, or until stock has absorbed and barley is al dente.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place mixed mushrooms on prepared tray and spray lightly with oil. Roast for 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- Add the kale and half the mixed mushrooms to the barley mixture. Cook, stirring, until kale just wilts. Season. Sprinkle with the walnuts and remaining mixed mushrooms.
Nutritions of Mushroom, kale and barley pilafcalories: 285.844 calories
calories: 9 grams fat
calories: 1 grams saturated fat
calories: 33 grams carbohydrates
calories: 11 grams protein