Indulge this weekend with a delicious Italian take on a baked Alaska.
The ingredient of Italian baked Alaska
- 6 individual panettone (see note) (or 1 large one)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Grand Marnier or other orange-flavoured liqueur
- 1L vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- 6 eggwhites
- 150g caster sugar
- Icing sugar, to dust
The instruction how to make Italian baked Alaska
- Cut a 1cm-thick slice from panettone bases, then scoop out centre, leaving 1cm-thick walls. Sprinkle the inside of each with 1 teaspoon liqueur and fill with the ice cream, packing in well. Drizzle a little more liqueur on inside of bases, then press back onto panettone and invert onto a lined baking tray. Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Whisk eggwhites with electric beaters until soft peaks form. Whisk in half the caster sugar, then gradually add the remainder, whisking constantly until you have stiff peaks.
- Remove panettone from freezer and coat in meringue, flicking into peaks with the back of a spoon. (At this stage you can refreeze until youre ready to serve.) Dust with icing sugar. Bake for 5 minutes or until tinged golden. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Italian baked Alaskacalories: 428.049 calories
calories: 13 grams fat
calories: 8 grams saturated fat
calories: 62 grams carbohydrates
calories: 53 grams sugar
calories: 9 grams protein
calories: 33 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 165.01 milligrams sodium