Brighten up your kids dinners with coloured pastas. Theyre tinted with beetroot, so its a crafty way of increasing their vegie intake, too!
The ingredient of Beetroot agnolotti with pumpkin-butter sauce
- 700g butternut pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- 80g butter, chopped
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Grated parmesan, extra, to serve
- 1 (150g) beetroot, trimmed
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Plain flour, extra, for dusting
The instruction how to make Beetroot agnolotti with pumpkin-butter sauce
- Make Beetroot agnolotti: Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Wrap beetroot in foil. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Set aside to cool. Peel beetroot (see Notes) and roughly chop. Place beetroot in a food processor and process until almost smooth.
- Place beetroot in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add eggs, beetroot mixture, oil and salt. Gently whisk with a fork to combine, gradually adding flour from the edge as you go. Bring the dough together. Knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, dusting surface with a little extra flour, if needed. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 1 hour to rest.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. Using the palm of your hand, flatten 1 dough portion until 2cm thick. Dust dough with flour. Set pasta machine on the thickest setting. Feed the dough through pasta machine while turning handle. Fold each short end of dough into the centre to form a smaller rectangle. Repeat process twice.
- Reduce the width of the machine rollers by 1 setting. Dust dough with flour. Feed dough through the pasta machine. Repeat until 1.5mm thick. Loosely fold pasta, dusting lightly with flour. Place under a damp tea towel until ready to use. Repeat with remaining dough portions.
- Place pumpkin on a large baking paper-lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender. Transfer half the pumpkin to a bowl. Mash with a fork until almost smooth. Add chives and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a 6cm round fluted cookie cutter, cut rounds from pasta. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin mixture onto one half of 1 round. Brush edge with a little water. Fold pasta over to enclose filling. Press edge to seal. Repeat with remaining pasta and filling.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until agnolotti float to the top of water. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add remaining pumpkin. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Add pasta, spinach and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Divide pasta and pumpkin among serving plates. Sprinkle with parmesan. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Beetroot agnolotti with pumpkin-butter saucecalories: 638.847 calories
calories: 30.5 grams fat
calories: 14.8 grams saturated fat
calories: 72.1 grams carbohydrates
calories: 18.7 grams protein
calories: 133 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1025 milligrams sodium